Jemma Green is the Chairman and Co-founder of Power Ledger, which is disrupting and reimagining how we generate, buy, and sell energy. She was involved in Australia’s biggest initial coin offering of $34 million to fund her startup in 2016.
After completing a degree in finance, Jemma started her career in banking at J.P. Morgan in London. While there, she saw first hand the dilemmas and problems that came with bringing corporate social responsibility to the business world. After a decade in the UK, Jemma returned home to Perth to pursue a doctorate at Curtin University in electricity market disruption, which she completed in 2017.
This work turned out to be the perfect segue to starting up her own business, a blockchain-powered peer to peer energy and carbon credit trading platform called Power Ledger. The company is four years old and has projects in the US, Japan, Europe, Thailand, and Australia.
Jemma is an expert in residence at Curtin University helping with the commercialisation of technology and the startup ecosystem. She also serves on the board of Water Corporation. Somehow she found time to become Deputy Lord Mayor of the City of Perth and a mother of two children. Jemma helped set up Australia’s first fossil fuel-free superannuation fund and has sat on numerous boards championing sustainable business. She gives regular talks on technology and leadership in business and recently received the EY Fintech Entrepreneur of the Year award.
She lives in Perth and invents Italian style dishes for relaxation. You can find her on Twitter and Facebook.
What you will learn
– The importance of downtime, silence, and space for inspiration
– The opportunity that comes from great timing
– How the intersection of different technologies is transforming the 100-year-old energy market
– How households are making money from their solar batteries and not just their solar panels
– How blockchain is disrupting the energy market
– Insights on fast-moving markets to fight, flight or innovate
– The importance of being customer-centric for business survival
– The advantages of blockchain funding over VC funding
– Scaling global growth through international collaboration
– Why backing yourself and your own judgment is a superpower
– The importance of learning from your failures
– Why you need the power of passion